Being a Dad: The Important Role of the Father

Dear HardyHikers,

I've spent countless hours reflecting on the role of the father. It's a unique and often misunderstood dynamic. Fathers and mothers can be incredibly different in how they interact with their kids. And that contrast is both a challenge and a blessing. My issue was, why do we, as dads, always end up being the disciplinarians? Why are we the ones stuck with the tough job of laying down the law while the mothers get to be the comforting and understanding ones?

In my household, it happened automatically. I became the disciplinarian by default. Every time my kids messed up, it was on me to deliver the consequences. And honestly, it sucked. I love my kids more than anything, so why did I have to be the bad guy? Why did the responsibility of punishment fall squarely on my shoulders while my wife got to be the nice one? It felt like a raw deal, and it annoyed the hell out of me. "I'm telling your dad!" became the go-to threat. Not just from my wife, but from both sets of grandparents as well.

I eventually came to terms with it. I realized that there's a deeper reason why this dynamic exists, and understanding it changed everything for me. Fathers aren't just disciplinarians. We're shaping our kids into resilient and responsible adults. Embracing this role isn't easy, but it's important.

Stay tuned as I dive into why this happens, why it's actually a good thing, and how you can embrace your role as the dad without feeling like the bad guy all the time. 

 



The Reality of Disciplining Your Kids: Why Dads End Up as the Bad Guy

Being a dad isn’t all sunshine and rainbows, especially when it comes to discipline. I’ve reflected deeply on this, and it bugged me that in our household, I automatically became the disciplinarian. Their mother? She shied away from it, leaving me to play the bad cop. This dynamic is frustrating as hell. Despite having a fantastic relationship with my kids, being the enforcer put a strain on things.

I have a great relationship with my kids. I'm the one who encourages them to explore and try new things. I’m the dad who takes them to their after-school activities, who cheers the loudest at their games, and who’s the first to know about their latest achievements. They crave my approval, and I’m honored by that. But there's a twist: they also fear me. And not in a good way. There’s a fine line between fear and respect, and I felt my kids walked both sides. They should fear the consequences of their actions, not me. The line "I'm telling your father" became the go-to threat. Not just from their mother, but both sets of grandparents as well.

To add insult to injury, every time I laid down the law while their mother was around, she’d interfere. She’d comment, step in, and downplay what they did. It was infuriating. I had to sit her down and explain that if she disagreed with my approach, we could discuss it afterward, privately. Undermining me in front of the kids? Absolutely not. That only breeds confusion and a lack of respect for both of us. She agreed, but her heart couldn’t help but intervene. It got so bad I had to send her to another room before I talked to the kids.

I felt like the bad guy, and on top of that, I felt attacked and undermined. Here I was, taking on the responsibility no one else wanted, and instead of support, I got pushback. It’s enough to drive anyone mad. But through all this, I learned something. Being the disciplinarian isn’t about being the villain. It’s about preparing your kids for the real world, where actions have consequences. And sometimes, you have to be the one to enforce that.

Over the next few years, something amazing happened. Once their mother learned to stay out of the way during disciplinary encounters, I noticed a real shift. First off, I became a pro at disciplining my kids. Now, I barely have to raise my voice to get things done. The kids listen to me and do what I say, often with just a look. Why? Because they know the consequences are real. Experience leads to competence, who would've guessed?

Meanwhile, their mother didn't fare as well. She remained the comforter, the loving, nurturing, and nice one. But they don't respect her the way they respect me. They don't listen to her. She has to nag them to get anything done, and when she finally snaps, it’s an emotional mess. That's not effective discipline. Kids need structure, not an emotional rollercoaster.

I put in the effort, dealt with the pushback, and engaged in long arguments. And you know what? I'm way better off for it. The bond between my kids and me is stronger than ever. And now, their mother is slowly trying to step up her discipline game. They respect her more when I’m around because they know I won't tolerate any nonsense. But kids constantly test boundaries, and she struggles when I’m not there to back her up.

Fathers, embrace the role of disciplinarian. Not only is it the right thing to do, but it also builds a closer, more respectful relationship with your kids. That’s a solid trade-off for putting in the effort to shape your children into responsible members of society who actually think before they act.

Discipline isn’t about being a tyrant. It’s about guiding your kids with love and firmness. When you take on this role, you teach them invaluable lessons about accountability and respect. Don’t shy away from being the disciplinarian. Step up, take charge, and watch as your kids grow into individuals you can be proud of.


The Strength of a Father: Why We Need to Be Strong for Our Kids and Partners

Being the disciplinarian requires strength, and fathers must embody this strength. Our lives as men are built on it, both traditionally and practically. We must provide, we must protect, and we must be useful. Otherwise, we’re not respected as men. That’s just how the world works. And let’s face it, respect is earned, not given.

Our kids need to see us as the fearless protectors. The ones who will always save the day, making them feel safe enough to explore the world without constant worry. They shouldn't have to fear someone breaking into the house, getting kidnapped, or the proverbial monsters under the bed. When we embody strength, they can rest easy, knowing they’re protected.

Fathers also need to be the emotional rock their children can lean on when they're hurt. We’re the ones who brush them off, help them back on their feet, and show them that it wasn’t really that bad. Strength isn’t just physical. It’s emotional and mental. It’s about being the steadfast anchor in a storm.

This role is crucial not just for our kids, but for their mother as well. She needs to know she can rely on us. That when things go south, we’ve got it covered. Being strong means taking on the mantle of protector to make our family feel safe. And that's incredibly useful. Nothing good comes from living in fear.

We live in a world that constantly tests our mettle as men. We need to be up for the challenge, especially for our families. When our kids see us as the pillar of strength, they grow up with confidence and a sense of security. This isn’t about being macho (okay, maybe a little) it’s about providing a stable foundation for our loved ones.


Being the Role Model: Setting the Standard for Your Kids

Now let’s talk about being a role model. I have daughters, and that means I am the archetype of what they consider a male role model. Every single man they will meet throughout their lives will be measured against this archetype. I set the standard for what is good, bad, and normal. It’s my duty to take this responsibility seriously.

The way I treat their mother is how they will view what a normal and good relationship between a married couple is. If I treat her with respect, kindness, and love, that's the bar they will set for their own relationships. On the flip side, if I treat her poorly, that’s what they’ll come to accept as normal in their own lives. If that doesn’t straighten you up, I don’t know what will.

Being a good role model is about demonstrating the qualities you want your children to adopt. Integrity, strength, respect, and kindness, these are the values we should embody every day. It’s not just about what we say. It’s about what we do. Our actions speak louder than words, and our kids are always watching.

Fathers, take this role to heart. Be the man you want your sons to become and the kind of man you want your daughters to seek out. Show them what a good relationship looks like through your interactions with their mother. Teach them the importance of respect and kindness. Set the bar high. Because at the end of the day, our kids deserve the best role models we can be.


The Importance of Boundaries: Why Kids Need Limits to Thrive

Kids need boundaries. Without them, life is chaotic and unstructured. Let’s use a chess analogy. A game of chess is only fun because it has boundaries. There are rules to the game, and every piece has a specific set of moves it has to follow. That’s what makes the game exciting. How long would you want to play if you could just move the pieces however you wanted? It would get boring fast.

Boundaries and constraints increase creativity. Take away the TV, iPad, and screens from the kids. Watch them complain and be bored for about 10 minutes, and then they start getting creative. They build forts, draw, read, and invent games. Boundaries push them to think outside the box and use their imagination.

But boundaries aren’t just about restriction, they’re about setting a framework within which kids can safely explore and grow. Encourage them to push boundaries, not for the sake of rebellion, but from rational thought and a sense of exploration. All good lawyers know that if the intention behind a law is no longer met, the law has to be changed or broken. It’s the same with boundaries. They should make sense and adapt as kids grow.

Fathers, establish clear boundaries and enforce them consistently. Your kids will resist at first, but they’ll eventually understand that these limits are there for their benefit. Boundaries teach them discipline, responsibility, and respect. And in the long run, they’ll thank you for it.


Embrace your role fully. Be the strong disciplinarian, the steadfast protector, the exemplary role model, and the boundary setter. It’s a challenging path, but it’s the one that leads to raising well-rounded, resilient, and respectful children. And that, my friends, is a legacy worth striving for.


Comments