Unleash Your Superpower: Master the Art of Doing What You Don't Want to Do

Dear HardyHikers,

The ability to force yourself to do what you don't want to do is a superpower. It builds a strong character that sets you apart.


Imagine this: You're at a crossroads. On one side, there's comfort, instant gratification, and the allure of staying in your comfort zone. It got a comfy coach, netflix and chocolate being served by a beautiful someone. On the other side, there's discipline, delayed rewards, and the path to becoming a stronger, more capable version of yourself. Imagine Rocky training in Russia in Rocky IV. The choice seems obvious, right? Yet most of us lean towards comfort. Why? Because forcing yourself to do what you don't want to do is hard. That’s why it builds character.

 

 


 

What is a Strong Character?

A strong character is being virtuous and capable. It’s about being someone who does what's best for themselves and those around them. Picture someone you admire, maybe it's a mentor, a historical figure, or even a fictional hero. Mine is Iron Man. What makes them stand out? It's their unwavering commitment to doing what's right, even when it's hard. They don't shy away from challenges. They seek them.


Having a strong character means you possess the grit to push through discomfort, the integrity to stay true to your values, and the courage to face adversity head-on. It's about building a foundation of trust and reliability, both with yourself and others. When you can consistently force yourself to do what you don't want to do, you become a person of substance, someone others can count on.



 

The Benefits of a Strong Character

So, why should you care about building a strong character? Simple: it transforms every aspect of your life. Let's break it down.


When you push past your comfort zone, you expand your capabilities. You learn new skills, discover hidden talents, and become more adaptable.

A strong character builds trust. People respect and rely on those who consistently show up and do the right thing.


Employers and colleagues value someone who demonstrates discipline and integrity. It opens doors to opportunities and leadership roles.

By facing discomfort head-on, you build resilience. You become better equipped to handle stress, setbacks, and life's inevitable challenges.

 


Understanding the Concept

You ever wake up, look at your to-do list, and just want to crawl back under the covers? Trust me, I’ve been there more times than I can count. It's like there's this invisible force holding you back, whispering that it’s okay to take it easy. That’s your brain trying to protect you from discomfort. It’s wired for survival, not growth. But growth only happens outside your comfort zone.

Psychological barriers are like those mental roadblocks that scream, “Nope, not today!” These barriers are rooted in fear, self-doubt, and past experiences. I remember when I first started public speaking. Just the thought of standing in front of a crowd made me break out in a cold sweat. My mind conjured up every possible way I could fail. But I did it anyway. And each time I forced myself to step up, those barriers started to crumble. I still feel nervous, but I’ve learned to deal with it.

Emotional barriers are trickier. They’re tied to how you feel about yourselves and your capabilities. Ever notice how easy it is to procrastinate on something important when you’re feeling down? It's like a vicious cycle. The more you avoid it, the worse you feel. But when you push through, you gain a sense of accomplishment that lifts you up. That’s the emotional payoff of doing what you don’t want to do. It feels good to be productive. Just as it feels bad to be a couch-potato.

 

Motivation, Discipline, and Self-Control

Motivation is great, but it’s fleeting. It’s that initial spark that gets you started, but it won’t keep the fire burning. Think of motivation like a wave. It comes and goes. Discipline is the surfboard that helps you ride the wave. It’s what keeps you going when the thrill wears off. Discipline is about making those tough choices consistently, even when you don’t feel like it.

Discipline goes hand in hand with self-control. This is like a muscle. It needs constant training. The more you exercise it, the stronger it gets. It’s about resisting short-term temptations for long-term gains. Remember the stoic principle: the only thing you can control is yourself. This means taking full responsibility for your actions, regardless of external circumstances. You can't control the waves, but you can learn to surf.

Building a strong character requires work. It takes time, effort, and a lot of sweat. But every time you force yourself to do something you don’t want to do, you’re strengthening that muscle. You’re proving to yourself that you have what it takes to overcome challenges. And that, my friend, is the essence of a strong character.

 

Main Strategies for Building a Strong Character

Here are the main strategies I use:

Set Clear Goals and Priorities

First things first: you need a roadmap. What do you want to achieve? Break it down into actionable steps. For me, it was about focusing on integrity and capability. That means always being truthful, doing what's right, and handling my business. I wanted to be the kind of person I would want to have in my corner.

Keep Yourself 100% Accountable

When you set a goal, own it. Outside circumstances don’t matter. Whatever happens I can always handle it in an integral and capable manner. No excuses, no blaming others. Just pure, unfiltered accountability. I remember setting a goal to wake up at 5:30 AM every day to hit the gym. It wasn’t easy, but holding myself accountable made it non-negotiable. Each morning, I reminded myself why I started and what I stood to gain.

Embrace Discomfort

Get comfortable being uncomfortable. This is where the real growth happens. Every time you push through discomfort, you’re building mental toughness. Start with small steps. I hate running, so I started jogging. It’s about pushing your limits incrementally. Each small victory builds confidence and resilience.

Practice Integrity Daily

Integrity isn’t just a buzzword; it’s a lifestyle. It’s about doing the right thing, even when no one is watching. I focused on small acts of integrity daily. Whether it was keeping a promise or being honest in difficult situations, these actions compounded over time, solidifying my character. Now my wife, friends and co-workers know me as someone who’s always truthful. They don’t even mention lying when I’m around because they know I will tear them a new one.

 

Overcoming Obstacles and Setbacks

Life throws curveballs. You set out to achieve something, and bam—obstacles appear. I've faced more setbacks than I can count. But here's what I've learned: it's not the setback that defines you, but how you respond to them.

Overcoming Procrastination

Procrastination is a killer. My soluton was to set a timer for 25 minutes (hello Pomodoro Technique) and just start. Action beats inertia every time. I used to procrastinate on writing articles. So, I committed to writing for just 15 minutes a day. Before I knew it, I was on a roll.

Facing Fear Head-On

Fear is natural. But most fears are paper tigers. They're scary until you confront them. I used to fear failure. But I learned that failing is just feedback. Each failure taught me something new, pushing me closer to my goals. Embrace fear, and you'll find it's not as big as it seems.

Battling Self-Doubt

Self-doubt can be crippling. But remember, everyone has it. Even the most successful people. The trick? Reframe your thoughts. Instead of "I can't do this," tell yourself, "I can learn to do this." It's a subtle shift, but it makes a world of difference. I doubted my ability to write, so I focused on small wins like publishing a simple article. Each win built my confidence, proving that I was capable.

Stay Persistent

Perseverance is about staying the course, no matter how tough things get. When you face obstacles, remind yourself why you started. Keep your end goal in sight. There were times when I wanted to quit on my fitness journey. But I kept going, one workout at a time. Now, fitness is a cornerstone of my life (thank God!).

Build a Support Network

You don't have to go through it alone. Surround yourself with people who lift you up, who challenge you to be better. Their support can be a powerful motivator. I relied on family and friends to keep me accountable and motivated during tough times. Their encouragement made a huge difference. Build a network.
You can find me on X (Twitter) with the handle @RealHardyHiker. I would love to hear from you.

 


Embrace the Challenge

So, here's the deal: building a strong character isn't about grand gestures or heroic feats. It's about the daily grind, the small choices you make every day to push through discomfort and do what's right. It's about becoming the hero of your own story, one disciplined step at a time.


Next time you face something you'd rather avoid, remember: forcing yourself to do what you don't want to do is a superpower.


You've got the tools, the strategies, and the mindset. Now, it's time to get to work.

 

Comments